Be an ally!
Ally (n) : “one that is associated with another as a helper : a person or group that provides assistance and support in an ongoing effort, activity, or struggle”Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Both Jobs for Life™ and Faith & Finances™ are built on relationships. We talk a lot about relationships with others, with God, and with ourselves. So, we incorporate one-on-one relationships into the class by pairing each participant with an ally.
Allies in these contexts are mutual learners on the journey with our class participants. An ally encourages, advocates for, and is a supportive friend to the participant as he or she embarks on a journey toward meaningful employment or toward economic self-sufficiency.
Who can be an ally?
For our Jobs for Life™ and Faith & Finances™ classes the qualifications are simple:
- Follow Jesus, with a vision for His kingdom and reconciliation
- Have a passion to see low-income people grow spiritually and economically
- Be humbly open to new friendships, even ones across socioeconomic/cultural lines
- For Faith & Finances™, have at least 2 years’ experience wisely managing personal finances
- For Jobs for Life™, have at least 2 years’ experience in the workforce
- Attend the Equipping Ally training offered by Restoring Hope Roanoke
What is an ally expected to do?
- Be a gracious, encouraging friend
- Attend all classes and participate fully in the class and the class tasks
- Connect with your participant on a regular basis concerning the class tasks and their progress
- Pray for and spend time with the participant regularly
- Use your own network to provide opportunities for learners where possible
Interested in being an ally? Contact us today to start the conversation or register below for our ally training.